Undergraduate Teaching Experience
COMMRC 1904 provides an opportunity for qualified undergraduate students, under the guidance of a classroom teacher, to have a first-hand experience with peer mentoring and classroom instruction as a UTA. Participation is by instructor invitation only. Students MUST register for credit to assist an instructor in any classroom capacity. Work with your faculty supervisor to fill out the Undergraduate Teaching Experience form and bring to either Dr. Gareis or Dr. Guthrie.
QUALIFICATIONS (based on A&S Guidelines)
To qualify a perspective UTA must:
- Have a minimum GPA of a 3.0
- Have invitation from instructor
- Be able to attend required lecture and be available to students as per instructor’s request.
The UTA may:
- Lead study sessions
- Develop supplemental course material
- Develop/maintain course website
- Provide tips or feedback/answer general questions about material or assignments
The UTA may NOT:
- Conduct regular class meetings
- Grade student work
- Engage in work/tasks unrelated to the class
Who may sponsor a UTA:
- Fulltime faculty with rank of VI and up.
- Adjunct faculty and part-time instructors with 3 years experience
- ABD graduate students with permission of the department chair.
The grade option for COMMRC 1904 will be S/NC and the course WILL NOT count toward the major. It will be one of the elective courses allowed to count toward the 120 credits required for the undergraduate degree.
Credits will vary as per the following chart:
- 1 credit: 3-5 hours per week
- 2 credits: 6-10 hours per week
- 3 credits: 12-15 hours per week